Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hemming jeans, embellishing jeans.


Some of my children are very "hard-to-fit."   I've spent a lot of my mothering years taking hems up and letting hems out, of adding elastic to waistbands or making darts in a seam.  I find myself pressed at times with quickly growing children.  I would tend to neglect my mending pile, if I weren't nagged by the thought my children will outgrow the clothes without ever having worn them, if I don't get them mended.  The clothing is usually in the pile precisely because the child needs it, so while guilt is not a great motivator, in this case it works.  I do like to make mending or altering as painless as possible, however, so here are a couple of links for some shortcuts that I've found.  They really are easy, and they really do work well.



I hemmed these jeans for Julia by hand, then because I had time left over I added some freehand embroidery.  She was tickled pink, red, and yellow.  :)


1 comment:

  1. Those are so cute!

    Thanks for linking to those great tips. :) I recently had to figure out how to hem a pair of my husband's cuffed dress slacks for work that had been hemmed about a half inch too long at the factory. Just long enough to catch under his shoe. Ugh! I wasn't sure I was going to be able to figure out that one! Easier than I thought though, whew!

    ReplyDelete