Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Parenting with humility


I hold my boy,
Ben,
on my lap
right before his bedtime.
Daddy is calling that "It's time for a Bible Story!"
so I've got just one more minute.
One more minute to feel his weight in my arms,
to examine his bug bites and scrapes from the day's play,
a moment more to notice how well-defined his muscles and feet have become
as they dangle at my shins.

"You've grown, Ben-boy!"
"Yup!"
Someday, you'll be bigger than mama.  Did you realize that?"
"Mmm-hmmm."
Someday, you'll be as big as daddy and Jake and Nick?
You'll be able to carry me, like I'm holding you, if you needed to.
Isn't that amazing?
Ben nods, happy at the thought of growing.

I squeeze him one more time,
stamping the memory upon my heart
of a sweet little boy that I can still hold on my lap.
My mind flashes ahead thru the years to the day that he may, indeed,
carry me
thru infirmity
or hold my hand down the stairs
like I sometimes do
for my own mama and daddy.

Knowing that someday
we will switch roles
makes me parent
with
humility.




5 comments:

  1. Well, there you go making me tear up again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the Robert Munsch book 'Love You Forever' - my parents read that to me frequently and my mom will still quote it to me. Now that I'm a bit older, I tear up nearly every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Holly. I need to be reminded of that often and you did it beautifully. Thank you, too, for the sweet example that it takes only a few moments at a time to soak up your child and pour love into him. I'm so often tempted to think that I need lots of time or a "big" moment to build my children. Thank you!
    Jenn in NH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't do that, Connie. :)

    Kat - i love that book. It makes me snuffly too.

    Jenn, I have to remind myself all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, what a gentle reminder! You put it so well Holly, how careful we must be with this "garden" we tend.

    ReplyDelete