Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Homeschooling: Distractions while reading out loud.


I try to give my young readers an opportunity to read out loud to me every chance they can. Sometimes, it's hard to concentrate when the baby wants to play and keeps closing your book. But this is school at home, and it's not like everyone can go to their own cubicle (or even room) to complete every task. I've been amazed over the years at just how well the kids are able to teach themselves to handle distractions, say hello to the baby, then get back to whatever it is they were doing. Not perfectly, not every time, but mostly - and good enough. So far, all of our kids are avid readers. I'll have to get back to you about the baby.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE that picture...it's one of the things I loved most about homeschooling. One of my favorite photos from those days in our home is of Emily sitting at the dining room table doing algebra with a less than a year old Gavin sitting on her lap. It's real life - learning to stay focused while life goes on around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do better than you might think, don't they, Patricia?

    I should add in that I have one child who, as he has gotten older, really does need quiet in order to do his math, in particular. So - he DOES find himself a cubicle (ha ha...)to get it done. But when they are younger, they all have seemed to be able to make necessary adjustments and just pick up and go on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? He's not reading yet? Moms always slack off with the youngest! ;)

    *Love* this!

    And apparently we needed to have more children to help the oldest with her distractions...but I don't think my husband would go along with me at this point! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only having three must not be enough practice at working through distractions because my kids can't. I always wonder how on earth my kids would function in a classroom of thirty children when they can't even work with two sitting next to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, Kari....every family is different. :) Every kid is different. :)

    I think that possibly, this is just something that develops over time, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a precious picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea having your kids read so much... it will benefit them their whole lives!

    ReplyDelete